French police arrested two men in connection with the Bastille Day massacre in Nice which left 84 people dead, a source close to the investigation said Tuesday, bringing to seven the number of people detained since the July 14 attack.
"They were placed in custody while investigators seek to determine if the Tunisian (attacker) Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel had logistical support," the source told AFP.
A second source said the two arrested were men and that their pictures had been found on Bouhlel's mobile telephone.
Prosecutors believe Bouhlel had long plotted the attack in which he ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd which had been enjoying a fireworks display on Nice's seafront Promenade des Anglais, injuring more than 300 people.
Four men and a woman have already been charged with being accomplices to murder by a terrorist group. None of them had been known to intelligence services.
Prosecutor François Molins said that correspondence between the suspects and Bouhlel – shot dead by police during the attack – indicated they had been in on the plot.
The attack was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group.
The militant group called Bouhlel one of its soldiers, but authorities say they have yet to find evidence that the 31-year-old had any actual links to the militant group.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Date created : 2016-07-26
نویسنده : بازدید : 13 تاريخ : سه
1395 ساعت: 20:28